Chowdhury said the voice of the Opposition has been "ignored" and that is not good for democracy.
Former Chief Election Commissioner of India, Navin Chawla, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. Chawla, a former bureaucrat, served as the election commissioner between 2005 and 2009, and then as chief election commissioner from April 2009 to July 2010.
The Kananaskis gathering on June 16-17 is the Prime Minister's 6th consecutive participation in the G7 Summit.
Bank unions on Friday deferred their two-day nationwide strike beginning Monday after they received positive assurance from both the finance ministry and the IBA on their demands, including a five-day work week and adequate recruitment in all cadres. The strike call for March 24 and 25 was given by United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella organisation of nine bank employees' association.
A probe into e-mails threatening blasts at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad and different places in 12 states has unravelled a tale of unrequited love and vengeance allegedly unleashed by a woman executive of an MNC in Chennai to defame a man, leading to her arrest.
Blackouts were enforced in Amritsar and Hoshiarpur's Dasuya and Mukerian areas as a precautionary measure. Electricity supply in Amritsar was restored at 11:42 pm on Monday.
According to police, Warrant Officer Ramkumar Tiwari (41) jumped from a helicopter at approximately 9:30 AM. However, his parachute didn't open on time due to a technical malfunction, causing him to fall directly to the ground.
Fourteen persons were arrested on Friday in connection with the violence in Nagpur earlier this week, taking the total number those held so far to 105, a senior police official said. Those held include 10 juveniles, as per police. Three more FIRs have been registered in connection with the incident, he added. Large-scale stone pelting and arson was reported in several parts of Nagpur on March 17 over rumours that a chadar' with holy inscriptions was burnt during protests led by the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) seeking the removal of Aurangzeb's tomb, which is in Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar district. "The 14 accused have been arrested from different parts of the city in connection with the riots. Three more FIRs have been registered related to the riots," Nagpur police commissioner Ravinder Kumar Singhal said. The decision on lifting curfew from some parts of the city will be taken after a high-level review meeting, he added. Singhal, meanwhile, held a meeting at Police Bhavan in Civil Lines here to take stock of the situation. Thirty-three police personnel including three Deputy Commissioner of Police-rank officers were injured during the violence. Key accused Fahim Khan is among those booked for sedition.
The petitioner's counsel said his client was facing threats of arrest and torture in his country as he was a former Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam member, and that his wife and children had settled in India.
A journalist in Mumbai has refused to take down videos of a Ram Navami procession that featured participants shouting profanities and making threats against Muslims. The journalist, Kunal Purohit, has asserted that he is only "documenting hate." Mumbai police have registered an FIR against three individuals for using a loudspeaker to play obscene songs during the procession.
The labourers, who are said to be of Nepali origin, were engaged in the construction of a hotel.
Former Director General of Police of Karnataka, Om Prakash, was found dead at his residence in Bengaluru under mysterious circumstances. Police suspect foul play and are investigating the incident. The 68-year-old's body was found with injuries in his house, leading to suspicions of foul play. Police are questioning Prakash's spouse and daughter. The body has been sent for an autopsy and further investigation is underway.
Monsoon hit the state on June 20 and has since then cost it Rs 5,000 crore in damages.
A bench of Justices Surya Kant and N Kotiswar Singh also questioned the authenticity of materials placed before it by petitioner Mohd Ismail and others and refused to stay any further deportation of Rohingyas saying similar relief was denied by the court.
South Mumbai received over 250 mm of rainfall in just 13 hours, leading to widespread flooding, disrupting train services, and causing house collapses. The heavy downpour flooded several low-lying areas, including Hindmata, King Circle, Dadar TT, Kings Circle, Parel TT, Kalachowki, and JJ Marg, leading to diversions and delays in BEST bus services. The suburban services of the Central Railway and Western Railway were also disrupted due to heavy waterlogging on tracks. At least five incidents of partial house collapses and 32 instances of tree falls were reported, though no injuries were recorded.
The story of the Bombay Stock Exchange and the people who shaped its growth: From wars and bomb blasts to speculators, reformers and wealth creators.
Disha Salian, former manager of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, died on June 8, 2020, after falling off the 14th floor of a residential building in Mumbai's Malad area, six days before Rajput allegedly committed suicide in his apartment in Bandra.
The Mumbai Police has assured the Bombay High Court that it will act promptly on cyber fraud complaints and sensitize all police officials to ensure prompt action and FIR registration when such complaints are filed. The assurance came after a city-based woman filed a petition alleging that the local police failed to act swiftly on her cyber fraud complaint, resulting in a loss of Rs 45 lakh. The court has directed the Additional Director General of Police (Maharashtra Cyber) to appear before it on April 22 to inform the bench on the formation of the Maharashtra Cyber Security Corporation.
Top Canadian officials have reportedly admitted to leaking details about India's interference to The Washington Post, but these specifics were not shared with Canadians, The Globe and Mail newspaper reported.
India and Belgium on Monday explored potential defence engagements in the Indo-Pacific, particularly in the maritime domain, and discussed ways to strengthen defence industrial cooperation.
The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has expelled a local leader and his son after they were named in a dowry harassment and abetment to suicide case in Pune, India. The victim, Vaishnavi, allegedly hanged herself on May 16 after facing harassment from her in-laws for dowry. The police have arrested her husband, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law, while the father-in-law and brother-in-law are absconding. The case has garnered attention due to the involvement of Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, who attended the couple's wedding and gifted them an SUV.
Zende along with a group of traders met joint commissioner of Police Ranjan Kumar Sharma and apprised him about the calls.
Six members of a family were found dead inside a car parked in Haryana's Panchkula, while one more died on the way to a hospital, police said on Tuesday, suspecting a suicide pact. Police are investigating the incident from all angles.
Information Commissioner, in a terse order, pointed out that the website of the application mentions that the content on it is "owned, updated and maintained" by MyGov and MeitY
The husband of a 32-year-old woman, found dead in a suitcase in Bengaluru, is the main suspect in her murder. He fled to Pune after the crime and attempted suicide by consuming poison. The police have detained him and are awaiting his discharge from the hospital to interrogate him. Marital dispute is suspected to be the motive behind the murder.
The court stated that creating an absolute bar on the disclosure of information to non-citizens would be contrary to the purpose and object of the RTI Act itself, and the same cannot be read into the legislation.
The final NRC, a list of Indian citizens residing in Assam, was released in 2019 by excluding 19,06,657 people. However, it has not been notified by the Registrar General of India, leaving the controversial document without any official validity.
While two bodies were recovered on Wednesday, the death toll climbed to four on Thursday after the recovery of two more bodies from the Indira Priyadarshini Hydroelectric project site in Kangra district.
The protesters torched tyres and old furniture in the middle of the road in Kwakeithel and Uripok, demanding the release of the leader. The situation remained tense on Sunday morning.
The main accused, arrested for the rape and blackmailing of some girl students of a college in Bhopal, was shot and injured after he allegedly tried to escape custody by snatching a policeman's pistol, an official said on Saturday.
'Is it right and proper for the US authorities to allow people like Subrahmanya Swamy [sic] go round the country preaching murder, violence, overthrow of the duly elected Government of India?' A fascinating excerpt from Sugata Srinivasaraju's The Conscience Network: A Chronicle of Resistance to a Dictatorship.
Raja Raghuvanshi's wife Sonam (25), allegedly involved in the murder of her husband, surrendered before the Nandganj Police Station in Ghazipur district in adjoining Uttar Pradesh and was later placed under arrest, according to the Meghalaya police.
'What does Indira Gandhi want from me? At this age, what will I do to her?'
The Supreme Court of India has extended the interim bail of Ashoka University professor Ali Khan Mahmudabad, who was arrested for contentious social media posts on Operation Sindoor. The court, however, restrained him from posting anything online with respect to the cases against him, stating that there was no impediment on his right to speech and expression. The court directed the Special Investigation Team (SIT) to furnish the investigation report on the next date of hearing.
Ashoka Univeristy associate professor Ali Khan Mahmudabad has been arrested for his social media post on Operation Sindoor, police said in Sonipat on Sunday.
Ahead of the meeting of the prime minister-chaired high powered panel for selection of Election Commissioners, Congress leader Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury has written to the Law Ministry seeking details of short-listed candidates along with their 'dossiers'.
The Supreme Court will hear on February 19 pleas challenging the appointments of the Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners under the 2023 law. The court will take up the matter on a priority basis, after some urgent listed matters. The government has appointed a new CEC and ECs under the new law, which excludes the Chief Justice of India from the selection panel, despite a 2023 Supreme Court verdict directing the inclusion of the CJI in the panel. The petitioners argue that the exclusion of the CJI undermines the independence of the election commission.
The Supreme Court of India has scheduled a hearing on February 19 for pleas challenging the appointment of the Chief Election Commissioner and Election Commissioners under the 2023 law. The court emphasized the potential consequences if any action is taken before the hearing. The pleas argue that the 2023 law, which excludes the Chief Justice of India from the selection panel, undermines the independence of the Election Commission and allows for undue influence from the executive branch. The court's earlier verdict in March 2023 called for an independent selection panel comprising the Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition, and the Chief Justice of India to ensure the integrity of the Election Commission. The case highlights concerns about the independence of India's electoral process and the potential for political influence in the appointment of key election officials.
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has criticized the government's decision to appoint Gyanesh Kumar as the new Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) in the middle of the night, arguing that it is "disrespectful" and "discourteous" given the ongoing Supreme Court challenge to the selection process. Gandhi presented a dissent note to the selection committee, stating that the process violates the Supreme Court order and undermines the integrity of the electoral process.
Police in Thane, Maharashtra, have increased security at the Irani locality following the killing of a robber from an Irani gang based there in an encounter with police in Chennai. Jaffer Gulam Hussein Irani was shot dead by police after allegedly opening fire on them in Chennai. The Irani Basti has been known as a base for chain-snatchers and motorbike thieves. Police have stepped up security in the locality to prevent any law and order issues. The incident comes after a series of chain-snatching incidents in Chennai, which led to the arrest of two other members of the Irani gang. The gang is known for its involvement in crimes across India, including chain snatching and "attention diversion crimes."